CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 5, 2007

The Influence of music...

Music has always had a tremendous impact on me. It defines my moods, thoughts, and ideas. I'm not particularly picky about what type of music I listen to, though I have my preferences. I've never really been a country music fan and opera is something I can only take in small doses. I choose what I listen to primarily based on my thoughts. When I first get home from work and I'm all wound up, interestingly enough, I like to play something upbeat, as a matter of fact, it's the only time I listen to female artists like Michelle Branch, Dido, Alicia Keys, and others like them. I have to laugh because the music, the lyrics, give me pause to sing along and feel upbeat, only realizing afterward that most of the songs have to do with some painful aspect of a relationship. There has to be some humor in that!

Once I've relaxed and I sit down to check out my writing site, I listen to, yep silence. I download the day, all the crap that comes with it, and prepare myself for me time. My favorite time. I make it a point to lay down and relax my body, along with my mind, for at least ten minutes each evening. Creating a comfortable enviornment is not only important, it also adds to my ability to write. I have an antique, wrought-iron, gothic-looking, pub lamp (well, I don't know how antique it really is) that has a red bulb in it. It casts just enough light to smooth out the darkness, but puts a peaceful hue into the room. My favorite incense is Goloka NAG CHAMPA Agarbathi, very heady scent, but drifts around the room nicely. I turn on my small fountain (water is very important to me, must have been a fish in another life) and relax into the sensation of sound that reminds me of rain. Finally, I titillate my aural craving for music that will put me into the zone. Oh, I forgot to mention, an occasional glass of wine adds a nice touch.

Now is when I like to listen to Electronica/Trip-Hop, like Massive Attack (my favorite group and not one I would have thought I'd listen to with a name like that. It is deceptive), or Alternative music like, Mercury Tea Company or Portishead. This type of music puts me in a writing mood, as a matter of fact, I'm listening to it now, so this will probably be a lengthy blog entry. I'll apologize in advance. I fluctuate between writing and talking (via Internet, what a great invention) to the dearest person I know. Now, talking to this friend begins to evoke another thought process...

Yeah, the time comes to play Enigma, Opeth, or A Perfect Circle. This is the time I begin to realize the amazing life I lead. After fulfilling my obligations as mother and provider, I retreat into a place that is peaceful and safe, a place that gives me comfort in my solitude. Being alone is probably the hardest trial we as humans face in our lifetimes. We're not meant to be solitary creatures, every whole is made up of two halves, on equal levels. So, back to the music...This type of music makes my body feel alive. It makes me realize I feel comfortable in my skin, and I have no need to try and turn back time, I'm not so bad at this stage in my life. I feel the joy of just feeling, a new sensation that has developed. I need not go into detail about particulars, but suffice it to say desires arise...

Just before I go to sleep, I put on Amethystium or Bluestone, to accompany me into slumber, and then I dream...

While writing this, I had to smile, because I've lived in the pits of hell, and here I am, reveling in my freedom and strength. I feel empowered enought to say that I can achieve anything I set out to do, and I plan to do much.

Now, if there is head scratching going on, wondering what the hell this blog means, each of these entries is a piece of the puzzle that is me. As each piece falls into place, the big picture of who I am will become a realization. I hope to inspire women out there, who think they are stuck in a hopeless nightmare, that there is absolute peace (despite the daily struggles to make ends meet) in regaining their lives. There is nothing more precious than that.